Monday, October 08, 2007

Sports report

It was with great joy that I attended my daily 10:15 standup meeting this morning. Not because I enjoy what I do. Nor because I am eager to hear about the next impossible deadline that has been decided by those that won't get caught up in it. It's because out of a team of 8 on my project, 4 of them are Aussies (if you hadn't heard, England beat Australia 12-10 in the Rugby World Cup). Each one had a moan, although none blamed the refereeing, which has become the norm when a southern hemisphere team loses out to one of the northern region. I enjoyed it nearly as much as the game itself. I'm on the 'favour blacklist' from them all now though.

The polar opposite of the great success over the weekend is the dramatic demise of my beloved Coventry City. Nary two weeks ago we had our best result since long before relegation 7 years ago, beating The Scum 2-0 at Old Trafford. A few days later we beat Blackpool 3-1. Announcements from the board suggested that a takeover was imminent and our £38 000 000 debt will be wiped out, giving Ian Dowie funds to strengthen the squad when the transfer window opens in the new year. On Saturday we were beaten 1-0 by Wolves, with the last kick of the game. This is a day after that the Managing Director resigned, stating that all of the 5 takeover bids have collapsed, and it is looking likely that the club will be heading for administration.

So when you average it out, it was a pretty crappy sporting weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home