Friday, October 05, 2007

Odd bit of advice

I have sired a pretty crap organic alarm clock. My son wakes me up at approximately 2 hour intervals during the night. Last night it was 0:00, 2:00, 4:00, but he forgot to wake me up at 6:00 when I should be waking up. When I finally opened my eyes at 6:26, he was pushing out the z's, no doubt to get his strength back for his next batch of choking/crying/yelling/crawling in the wee hours.

Therefore this morning, I was in a mad scramble to get out the house. I like to leave early, not because I am a committed employee, but simply to miss the traffic and get a decent parking spot in London. As I was frantically gathering my various clothing, safety gear and gadgets (in the panic I forgot my cellphone) the wife told me to 'take it easy on the roads'. I explained that because I was leaving late, the journey would be a nightmare and I would have to take a lot more risks than normal. She then said 'well it's not worth dying over'. What sort of comment is that?! I know it's not worth dying over. I wondered, in her opinion, what would be worth dying over?

I was having a conversation about commuting by motorcycle with a client recently. He seemed to think I was something of a superhero for having the guts to do it. I explained that I was not, just a fat bloke with no supernatural gifts that got bored with public transport. After the conversation he said 'I hope you have a safe journey home. Be careful'. Yeah, I do to mate. I know it's an off-the-cuff comment, but when someone says something like that, it really does make me think that what I do every day is pretty dangerous and it's only a matter of time before my bike ends rubber side up.

Thanks wife/client. I'll be sure to ride really eratically with complete disregard for safety unless otherwise instructed

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home