Thursday, September 20, 2007

Cruel parents 2

After my brush with Ronald McDonald a couple of weeks ago, I've noticed that a lot of people have odd names these days. Whatever happened to good oldy timey names like Peter, Mary, Richard and so on? It seems that parents today want to name their kids something that will cause them huge embarrassment on the playground. I take my little one (he has a 'regular' name by the way) to a child minder, and she looks after two other children called Dillon and Barnaby. Now these are perfectly valid labels and the parents obviously had some motivation when they named them, but it almost seems a trend to name children something off centre. I'm discounting hippy stuff like Rain and River and all that. I can't think of anyone around my age group that has an odd name, although what my parents were thinking when they called me Skybluesnowy, God alone knows.

When the missus was preggers, we went to some classes to learn how to squeeze the brat out. We met some nice people there, but nearly all of them have gone the Barnaby route. I'm not going to name and shame, just in case my cover is blown. We have some friends who have named their daughter Tyla. We have some friends who have named their son Tyler. Some friends of friends have named their son Keegan, others have named their pair Mitchell and Jordan. I know two couples that have called their son Reuben. But the Septics take it one step further. We get a weekly newsletter at work where they announce arrivals, and some of the names beggar belief. (I checked the parents names just in case they were foreign sounding, but none of them were). Here are some of the more imaginary ones:
Cyrus Webb, Piper, Hayden Kinnick, Arya, Marek Illia, Tanner Monohan, Lukas Peter Klosterman, Tara Sevan.
Come on guys, stop it now.

Apologies is anyone reads this and has a peculiar name. It's all a bit of fun, and not my fault if you are called Digby or Egbert.

1 Comments:

At 9:35 pm, Blogger burbaget said...

Just the first line of this post left me in stitches

 

Post a Comment

<< Home