Monday, September 24, 2007

Junior scientist

I was browsing the toy shelves* in Woolworths** on Saturday and saw some corkers that I can't wait to buy the little man. Microscopes, ant farms, rock tumblers, crystal makers. But it occured to me that I haven't seen chemistry sets for years now. I wonder if they have been banned?

I recall my first chemistry set with a mixture of longing and fear. I must have been about 7 when my folks bought me it. My dad said I could only use it outside, but the wind kept blowing out the burner, so he let me use it on his work bench in the garage. This is the same work bench that he used to fix the diesel lawnmower on, was covered in sawdust and had cans of spray paint, paint stripper and thinners everywhere, and had no lighting. Safety wasn't high on his agenda. I wonder what parents were thinking in those days. Mine let a 7 year old, with a history of blowing things up with fireworks, loose on a bottle of meths, a box of matches and a fistful of chemicals that, if you had them under one roof these days, you'd be arrested under the prevention of terrorism act.

Like most, I followed the tutorial book from page one, and turned copper sulphate cystals into a blue liquid and then back into copper sulphate crystals. Then I used litmus paper to test the alkalinity and acidity of various liquids. Spit and urine were included on this list. I completely disregarded the instruction book after that and started concocting my own experiments, usually invloving boiling zinc, setting light to iron filings, sticking ants into a test tube with some phospherous and a naked flame - you know, just the type of thing that a normal arsonist-in-training would do. It wasn't long before secrets were swapped at school and some very interesting recipes were brewed on the workbench, generally resulting in a large bang and a bright flash.

I can't believe my parents let me get away with what I did. I'm more surprised that I made it out the other end without losing a finger or my eyesight. On second thoughts I think I will buy the little one an ant farm.

* Research for Junior's Xmas/birthday present
** Since Junior's birth, we can't afford John Lewis anymore

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home