Friday, April 20, 2007

Cream soda

On the 12th of January, 1996 I got drunk. Very drunk. I was living in Durban at the time but had gone up to Johannesburg to watch a one day international between South Africa and England at The Wanderers. On arrival I met with a few friends for 'a couple of quick beers'. One thing led to another and I ended up in a pub talking to some Scotsman wearing a Celtic top telling me how he was just about recovered from the stab wound he received from his nearest and dearest. The pub was called 'The Long Island Iced Tea Bar' and I sampled quite a few of the titular cocktails. My friends and I somehow made it back to where we were staying at about 4am (conservative guess).

Later that morning we were meeting a group over from the UK at a pub nearby to have a spot of breakfast, then head off to the match at about 9:30. Feeling as rough as a gravel track, someone mentioned that I needed to get sugar in my body. He heard that Cream Soda had the highest content of sugar in all known soft drinks, and it was a sure cure for a hangover. There was a newsagents open across the road so I staggered in and procured said can of fizzy pop. I pretty much downed the can because the taste was unbelievably revolting. No sooner had it gone down, 340ml, plus some, of fizzy green stuff came straight back out in full view of 10 friends and numerous disgusted diners.

I had to drive the missus to the airport this morning to pick up the evil-in-law (again) and got the tube into London. At Hounslow West, this girl got on and sat next to me. Her perfume smelt just like Cream Soda. I was wincing the rest of the journey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home