Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Bloody computers

I'm trying to sort out a passport for Junior at the moment. Can you believe that you need a passport for a baby, photo and everything? The most ludicrous thing is that it's valid for 5 years - like his photo is going to resemble him in 2 months, let alone 5 years! Anyway, after following the instructions on the form, getting all the documents together, countersigned by an upstanding member of the community, extracting samples of DNA etc, I headed off the Post Office to get the forms processed. They ran them through a machine and said that they couldn't send the forms off because there was an anomaly. I originally filled the forms in at work, but left the space reserved for my passport number blank as I didn't have it to hand. So when I got home that night, I filled in the missing info. It seems in my haste, I filled it in with blue ink, which is a real no no. So the computer rejects the form. I asked if I could just go over the blue ink with black, but apparently the computer 'knows' if you do that and rejects it. So now I have to get more forms, fill them out (with black ink) and get my Fuzz mate to countersign section 10 and mail it back to me. All because of a blue pen. We can send a man to the moon (and get him back), we can perform face transplants, we have computers that can perform millions of calculations in a fraction of a second, but we can't have a scanner that reads blue ink. Bloody computers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home