Friday, March 02, 2007

2 codes

I was flicking through the channels t'other night desperately trying to find something decent to watch, when I came across a rugby match between Oxford and Cambridge Universities. 'This'll do' I thought and settled down to watch it. The score was 4-0, one of the teams had just scored a try, and were in the process of missing the conversion. 4-0? Where did they get that scoring from? As we all know, it's 5 points for a try in rugby. At the restart, instead of the fly half drop kicking the ball, he kicked it from the ground. Also weird. I then thought that maybe they are playing old rules as these University types are always into upholding traditions and stuff aren't they. How quaint. My hunch was confirmed when one of the opposition players caught the ball, got tackled and went to ground. Instead of playing the ball back, he held onto it and the tacklers let him go, then he played the ball back. It was only after seeing this done 3 or 4 times that I realised I was actually watching a rugby league match.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home