Friday, March 02, 2007

Folk me*

My mate Dean sent me an album of a band called Gogol Bordello t'other day. They are described as 'Gyspy Punk', a genre I've never heard of before. Anyway, they are pretty darn good, 'The Clash and The Pogues having a fight in Eastern Europe’. Now I am happy to give anything a listen and love hearing unusual stuff. My staple music is of the guitar based rock variety, but having a think about it, maybe I'm on the turn. Topping my pile of bands I listen to are Half Man Half Biscuit, The Decemberists and the Fiery Furnaces. All these have been described as Folk bands. Add Gogol Bordello to that... I've always been a bit partial to stuff like 10,000 Maniacs, Strawbs and Fairport Convention as well. Am I really a folk music fan? God help me, I'll be a Morris Dancer within a year.

*Clever headline that don't you think? I should work for The Sun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home