Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The English language

Have people forgotten how to speak English?* Now I must confess that I'm hardly a cunning linguist, but I'm sure Shakespeare is spinning in his grave these days (a clever trick if you can do it).

My biggest bugbare is the misuse of 'sat'. He was sat on a bench is not correct English, he was sitting on a bench is. Likewise I was sat next to him and Where are you sat are both wrong. If you want to use the word, then have the good grace to use it as it was intended, I sat, they sat, we sat etc. Now write it out a hundred times and promise not to do it again.

And what's with the overuse of 'proper' all of a sudden? (I know I shouldn't start a sentence with 'And' before you scald me.) That was proper good, That band were proper and even abbreviated to just Proper with a nod of the head.

Then there's 'like' as in He was like 'Yeah', so I was like 'So what', then he's like 'You want make something of it' and I was like 'Anytime dude'. 'Like' is a close relation to 'turned around'. The previous sentence is often spoken as He turned around and said 'Yeah', so I turned around and said 'So what' etc. No one turned around, if they did it would make an unusual conversation.

No posts in 2 weeks and this is the best I can come up with.

*Rhetorical question

2 Comments:

At 5:27 pm, Blogger burbaget said...

I know you are allowed to use it, but I hate the word 'gotten'. It sounds so lazy and N.American!

Why not say, "I have become tired of it" instead of "I have gotten tired of it"?

Well my grammar etc is terrible so I can't really talk!

p.s. saw Badly Drawn last night. Was good.

 
At 8:28 am, Blogger Skybluesnowy said...

:) You only left a comment to this post so you could tell me you saw BDB, didn't you?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home