Friday, January 12, 2007

False alarm

I've been evicted from bedroom number one. There just isn't enough room for me anymore as my third of the bed (it used to be half but over time has gradually decreased) contains baby/nappies/towels/bottles/cotton wool balls/unrecognisable objects with 'Tommy Tippee' or 'Mothercare' stamped on them. It made sense that I move into the spare bedroom as I just couldn't sleep, even when His Majesty was sleeping, I'd be awake. There are a number of problems with me relocating:

1- It feels like I am either lodging or I've had a fallout with the wife, coupled with a subconscious feeling of guilt and shame.
2- The room is a mess, it is a dumping ground for all the shit we own that didn't fit in the main bedroom or the 'baby's room'. This is the same 'baby's room' that has yet to be introduced to the baby and was once my study. There isn't enough room to swing a cat. This is a fact, I have three cats and have tried.
3- It is located next to the neighbour's 11 year old daughter's bedroom. She is either (a)watching tele, (b)talking on the phone, (c)talking, (d)listening to music, (e)singing (badly) or (f)making odd whooping noises, where a, b, c, d, e and f = very loudly.
4- It doesn't have a television, so when condition a above = true, it makes me hog wild.
5- It has a single bed. This is the same bed that the wife wanted to replace because we've had it for years and is less comfortable that a tray of broken glass scattered amongst stinging nettles. The same bed that I said we'd be stupid to replace as it will never be used.
6- The way the room is laid out, the only plug socket is in the opposite corner to the bed. My laptop cable doesn't extend that far, so if I want to watch a DVD, I have to do it in 30 minute spells and then charge the battery for an hour. Note to self: buy an extension lead this weekend.
7- Also because of the layout, the end of the bed is about 2 foot away from the wall and there is a shoe rack (every house should have one) in the gap. Over the course of the night, my pillow edges bit by bit and every hour, falls off the bed.
8- Because of the plug socket situation, I haven't got my alarm clock anymore. I have been using my cellphone alarm to wake me up, but the tune has been driving me mad. All week I have been trying to think of a piece of music that is pleasing on the ear, but vibrant enough to ease me gently from my slumber. After much to-ing and fro-ing, I decided it had to be classical music. Rock music would be too harsh and pop music would just put me in a bad mood. I settled on Maurice Ravel's Bolero. If you are familiar with this piece of music, you will know that it starts off incredibly quietly and then builds up into a dramatic crescendo. The problem is that the first 5 minutes are pretty much inaudible. My phone alarm plays for 3 minutes before automatically going to 'snooze'. I overslept by 30 minutes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home