Tuesday, January 09, 2007

ASDA

I've just figured something out. I have always wondered where company and brand names come from. Not likeApple or HMV or anything, but those nonsensical ones like ASDA, Lidl, Aldi (in fact any supermarket chain thinking about it). Is Asda a word, in any language? I think not. Is it someone's name? I hope to God not. According to Wikipedia it's 'an abbreviation of ASquith and DAiries' which i find preposterous and ever so disappointing. However I know the real meaning. You know when you are trying to download some software and you have to fill in a form before you can get to the link? Well, if you do it quickly and type in rubbish, as most folk do, you probably do it the same as me. Mouse in the right hand for quick movement to next 'required field', and left hand perched over the QWER bit and neighbouring keys. Do the form fill thing real quick and I bet you dollars to doughnuts that you'll type in 'asda' at some point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home