Thursday, July 20, 2006

Hot Hot Heat

It's been crazy hot in the UK this week, we're talking mid-thirties every day. I think there might be something to this global warming nonesense. Thankfully the office air-con has decided to work at long last so at least there is some relief when indoors. Whoever thinks that English weather is bad has obviously never spent more than a few days here. Summers are generally very hot now, with temperatures in the early and mid thirties pretty common. Winters are normally mild compared to a lot of places and there is rarely a frost, and snow is extremely unlikely. It's actually a decent place to live (for the weather).

Unlike a lot of places, we definitely do get 4 seasons. Some are longer than others, but at least you know December will be cold, July will be hot etc. What I do miss is extreme weather though. I love snow, frost, fog, baking heat, violent thunderstorms and lightning (the only thing I don't really like is high winds). Unfortunately, we get none of this in England. I can't remember the last time I saw a thunderstorm or heavy snow.

I really miss South Africa for the thunderstorms, you could set your watch by them in the summer. Around lunchtime the fluffly clouds would build up on the horizon and over time would get darker and darker. When the heavens opened the storm would be so violent, heavy rain, lightning, hail. Saw some storms that dumped down golf balls to. I used to live in the place in the north of Johannesburg that was built amongst the rocky side of a mountain. The rocks must have had a high metal content as the lightning would surround you during an electrical storm. Summers were great in Joburg, although the winters were awful. 20° during the day, and plummits to about -3° every night. Most unplesant. The winter lasts from about April to August, without a drop if rain or nary a cloud from about March to September. I can honestly say the coldest I have ever been was in 1996 when I first moved up to Joburg. Even living in the UK for years didn't prepare me for that winter.

Clouding over today mind, we might just get that storm, I just hope I'm indoors when it happens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home