Monday, July 24, 2006

Ghost Town/happy weekends

It was a little disconcerting coming in this morning as the roads were so clear. I left normal time. Filled up with petrol (prices going up and up) in the normal place, got held up because there was a new guy at the petrol station who couldn't speak English, couldn't work the till, had his name badge upside down, didn't know what to do with my debit card etc. But I still managed to get to work in about 50 minutes, which ain't bad for a journey of 35 miles, 7 of which is through Hammersmith, Kensington and central London. It only dawned on me later that it's because it's school holidays. I wish it was school holidays all year round, would make my life a lot easier. Kids don't need to go to school anyway, they can learn everything they need by watching Teletubbies and Eastenders. If they didn't go to school they wouldn't develop crack habits by the age of 11 either. I think I might petition my local MP about this one.

So it's Monday again and I'm knackered. I think I might add my proposal of a three day weekend in that letter to the MP (must find out who it is, or what colour flag he/she is flying). I had a fairly busy weekend, doing stuff that I used to take the piss out of my dad for doing. We have a huge hedge out the front of our house that has never been cut since before the house was built. I got these industrial sized clipper things from a DIY shop and started hacking away. I was spared briefly by a heavy downpour but the missus made me go out and finish the job pretty much the same time as the last drop had fallen. I was quite proud of myself as I managed to turn the hedge from a relative forest into a few twigs. Trouble was I ended up with a driveway of hedge stuff. Cue another trip to the DIY store to get a garden shredder which is now my favourite toy. I felt a bit like Peter Stormare in Fargo when I was using it.

Other weekend highlights:
- NZ beat SA in the rugby, boring game mind, but the result cheered me up a little
- I did some sealing around the bath (the wife wouldn't use it as the spiders would launch random attacks on her through the gap on the side). The bath is now sealed and I am covered in white chewing gum.
- I got bitten by a mosquito under my chin and now look like a fat elephant man.
- Found a program that turns digital images into a DVD slideshow, played with it for 3 hours creating a beautiful montage of holiday snaps only to find that the trial version only allows you to save 36 images on one DVD. Must add 'shareware' to my shitlist
- At 2:30 am on Sunday, a couple had a fight outside our bedroom window. We were about to phone the police but some guy from down the road came out to stop it. He managed to calm the situation down, and him and the other fella went off for a walk. 20 minutes later we heard them fighting further down the road. Serves me right for buying a house in scumsville I suppose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home