Friday, November 16, 2007

Wedding attire

What is it about men/weddings/kilts? It seems that every second set of wedding photos I see, the male contingent of the bridal party look like William Wallace. Now before you shoot me down in flames, I understand that there are a lot of Scotsmen in the world that do happen to get married, and I understand that they like to wear kilts on their wedding day. And all credit to them for doing so. But I do think that some folk use their wedding day as an excuse to wear a skirt. It's like the female equivalent of any opportunity to wear a hat.

Example 1. I went to a wedding in Durban a couple of years ago. Bridegroom and mates all donning the whole kilt malarky. At the reception, I mentioned to the broad South African accented BG that I didn't realise he was Scottish, to which he replied that he wasn't, but his wife's father was. I stopped short of asking if his father-in-law was an Apache, would he have turned up with feathered headdress on a hoss.

Example 2. I recall my own wedding preparations fondly. Conversely to the wife purchasing her ensemble from 15 different countries across the course of two years, I staggered into a dress-suit hire shop the day before my wedding, with a stinking hangover. I had no idea what to wear on my big day, so asked for some advice. I was offered various outfits, one of which included a kilt. Bearing in mind I was married in South Africa, I asked 'Why on earth would I wear a kilt?' and the guy (selecting my vowel carefully) replied 'Well you are English aren't you, I think it would be appropriate'. Hmm. In the end I chose a tuxedo, which on reflection did make me look like the world's weediest bouncer.

2 Comments:

At 1:01 pm, Blogger Mark Roffey said...

Does Mrs SkyBlueSnowy know that you write this blog?

 
At 1:24 pm, Blogger SkyBlueSnowy said...

She can't work the video machine mate, she's got no chance with this internet thing. Keep it a secret will you?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home