Monday, November 05, 2007

Helpful information

I hate riding into work on Monday mornings. Traffic is always bad, I'm normally still suffering from alcohol abuse, and, well, Monday's are crap days anyway. When I went outside to start up the bike this morning I was greeted with a very thick fog. Fog is bad on many accounts. Firstly, the visiblity. Secondly it leaves a thin film of vapour on the roads that makes them quite slippery. Thirdly, fog in the UK tends to be made up of tens, perhaps even hundreds of tiny water particles that are like frozen arrows trying (successfully) to penetrate my riding gear through the gaps in the fibres, then into my bloodstream through the pores in my skin. Not having much choice, I saddled up a rode off. I was frozen to the bone before I even made it to Sainsburys to fill up the tank.

When I got to the motorway, I realised how thick the fog was, you could hardly see the lane alongside you. Since my accident, I have developed an X-Men type superpower called patience. I slipped into the outside lane and stayed behind the car ahead. We chugged along at about 40 mph. Visibilty improved and worsened, as it does, but when it wasn't so bad I could see flashing motorway lights in the distance. I assumed that there must be an accident up ahead. Oh well, would mean a bit of filtering. Eventually I got close enough to see what the warning was. It helpfully advised me, in big amber flashing letters 'FOG'. Gee thanks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home