Wednesday, June 27, 2007

SW18

It's that time of the year again. Council tennis courts will be booked up for the next month, JB Sports will sell more £5 rackets than baseball caps, 'Henmania' will grip the nation as hordes of female students get t-shirts printed with 'I love Timmy' on it etc etc. I have a number of issues with Wimbledon.

Firstly, why does everything have to have an alternative 'cool' name these days (take note all you nine-eleveners). It's Wimbledon. It's not SW18, that's a postcode. It's a good job it isn't held in Coventry as CV2 2RE wouldn't sound so good. Secondly, it's the only half decent sporting event that the BBC airs in the year, so the whole network is dedicated to it. And boy do they hammer the point home. And how the hell did Claire effin Balding become a presenter? She's a bloody horse trainer for Christ sake. (And Michael Steeeeek and Greg Rusedski and Pat Cash for that matter).

The list continues; tennis players have got to be the biggest knobs second only to athletes. They all need personality transplants. Ah, we don't have characters like Connors and McEnroe anymore. Thank God for that. Spoilt rich American brats are not what I would describe as characters. My biggest problem with the whole thing is, sadly, Tim Henman. Now I am a very proud Englishman, but this twat really gets my bile bubbling. He looks the same now as he did when he was ten, and that is just freaky. He is a complete knob who somehow thinks he is good. Let's face it, getting into the third round in one tournament every year does not a good player make. I hate that little punch thing he does when he wins a point. It has about as much passion as a 90 year old couple who have lived apart for 50 years. And what about that po-faced wife of his? His little punch is naff, but she just sits there in a sulk, tapping her palms together occasionally. Well, I suppose anyone would if they were married to Mr Personality. I have noticed that she doesn't sit next to her in laws anymore, a bit of a fallout perchance?

Of course there are some good things about Wimbledon. It means the weather might improve soon, it gives the missus something to do whilst I watch a real sport like Darts or Crown Bowls, and then there's the talent spotting and seeing which nubile Russian teenager has broken through this year. Sharapova is on the way out, she looks like an NBA player now. I've always had a soft sport for Hingis though. A bit weird and I know that she is not everyone's cup of tea (just me then) but I think she is the finest thing to come out of Switzerland since cookoo clocks and cheese with bubbles in it. And watches and pen knives.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest. As you were...

Snowy fucks up again, it's actually SW19. Doh

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home