Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Bitter taste

For the last couple of weeks I've had a real bitter taste in my mouth. I first noticed it after eating a pear drop, and it hasn't gone away since. A few years ago a friend of mine, who was studying to become a dietitian asked if I could be a test case for her. All she needed was for me to answer a few questions and she'd give me a diet to suit my hedonistic lifestyle. One of the questions was related to tastes in my mouth. I had noticed previously that if I had a hangover, I always seem to have a metallic taste. This was quite normal she told me. She never did get back to me about a diet, I think my answers scared her. Anyway, because of that, I thought this new bitter taste would be something similar, but it's been bugging me for a while now so I did some Googling. To my horror, I found out that a bitter taste in the mouth is a symptom of a disease called Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease. Sounds pretty scary;

'GORD is defined as chronic symptoms or mucosal damage produced by the abnormal reflux of gastric contents into the esophagus. This is commonly due to transient or permanent changes in the barrier between the esophagus and the stomach. This can be due to incompetence of the lower esophageal sphincter (LES), transient LES relaxation, impaired expulsion of gastric reflux from the esophagus, or association with a hiatal hernia.'

Holy shit. So I spent the next half an hour trying to find out how to cure it, and how long I have left to live. In my searches, I came across a forum where people were talking about the same symptoms. Most of the people on there said they found out that the taste was because they had eaten pine nuts, and the symptoms can last from 2 days to 2 weeks. I ate a packet of pine nuts all to myself about 2 hours before eating the pear drop. I am not going to die, I am just a fat twat. Doh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home