Thursday, September 14, 2006

Plaster etiquette*

What is the safe time to remove a plaster from a cut? The first thing I do if I cut myself (after the string of expletives) is to rush to the bathroom cabinet and apply a plaster. Normally they are pink or have pictures of Bart Simpson on them because men never, ever buy plasters. It's definitely a woman thing. So, plaster applied, sulk over, you can get on with life. All is good for a couple of days, you replace the plaster when it gets wet or frayed edges and every thing is peachy. Trouble with plasters is that they don't heal the injury, they just kind of keep it moist and after a while it starts to ferment. Plasters are the greenhouses of the medical world. I'm no doctor, but through experience, leaving the wound open allows it to heal quicker, but then you have that awful decision to make - when should I remove the damn plaster. You don't want to leave it on too long because the gash will never heal, but you don't want to take it off too soon because within seconds you'll catch the injury on a doorhandle or something and end up in the same situation. Decisons decisions. I wish they had instructions on the box 'Apply directly to wound. Remove after 2 days. Expect pain for a while'.

It's a similar dilema to getting pins and needles in your leg. You know you have to move it around a bit to get the blood flowing again, but from past experience you know you are about to enter a world of pain.

Perfect timing is essential for a safe recovery.

* Where do I get this shit from?

1 Comments:

At 4:38 pm, Blogger SkyBlueSnowy said...

You learn something new every day, ta for putting me straight on this. I'm going to have words with my mum!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home