Wednesday, July 12, 2006

This week's playlist

I thought I would make a note of what's been on the playlist this week. Normally I just listen to The Decemberists, Half Man Half Biscuit and Fiery Furnaces, but have been diversifying a little this week.

Firstly the not so good. Having never listened to the following before, I thought I would give them a go: Hope Of The States, Orson, The Kooks, lostprophets (no capital 'L' according to the web), Love Is All and The Rakes. All fairly dissapointing I must say. It's the type of generic stuff that fringes the charts and is on the cusp of commercial dross and indie. Still, had to listen and give everything a fair chance, then slag it off. The Futureheads new album is a waste of time as well.

Halfway up the Scoville scale I found AFI, Alien Ant Farm, Boy Kill Boy, Cat Power, The Charlatans, Band Of Holy Joy and The Zutons. AFI. and AAF are pretty much the same and a bit 'poor man's' Offspring, but still a jolly good romp and kept me entertained for a while. Zutons nearly made the next batch, but found the album a little samey.

Higher up, in the European slots I found Guillemots (some great tracks, although the albums were a little dull), Psapp (latest isn't a patch on 'Tiger My Friend' though) and The Long Blondes. I reckon the latter might grow on me and become the new Death Cab For Cutie.

The highlights this week have been all the oldies though. I came across a load of old CDs whilst clearing out the baby's room and have been listening to The Police, The Who (Quadrophenia - top album), Spear Of Destiny and This Mortal Coil. TMC were always a band I thought I should like as I was into Cocteau Twins, Throwing Muses, Dead Can Dance etc, but never really got into them. However, thoroughly enjoyed 'Filigree & Shadow' and 'Blood'. Might dust off 'It'll End In Tears' and give that another whirl.

One major dissapointment this week; I've just listened to a load of Bowie songs and was a bit let down. Some of his songs are classics, some really nice but a lot of dross on there as well, especially the later ones. David Bowie, you are no longer on the main table, goodbye.

P.S. I was going to be all funky and add links to band / album names mentioned, but allmusic.com is misbehaving.

P.P.S. Sorry David B, listening to the rest of the CD has changed my mind again, you are restored to Rock Legend status - just ditch the recent stuff.

P.P.P.S. Allmusic behaving again, so in go the links

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home