Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Da Vinci Code

I watched the Da Vinci Code last night. I really enjoyed the book as I have been reading a lot in that genre over the last few years, albeit the non-fiction versions. Books like The Hiram Key, Holy Blood, Holy Grail, Fingerprints Of The Gods, Sign and the Seal and The Sirius Mystery. So I consider myself well versed in all the theories that are mentioned in the Da Vinci Code. It was nice to read a story tying it all together as well, as the non-fiction stuff can get a bit heavy. The book wasn't that well written, and if I didn't have such an interest in the topic, probably would have given up halfway through. But I enjoyed it nonetheless. I was pretty excited about the propsect of the film, until I heard that Tom Hanks was in it. Ok, he's a good actor, I'm sure it will be fine.

My God, what a waste of celluloid. One thing that worried me about filming the book, was how they would handle all the lectures that happen throughout. This was cleverly done in the film by Audrey saying 'I.Don't.Understand' everytime some theory was introduced. Cue a Tom soliloquy and a lot of transluscent footage of Crusaders trashing villages.

It seems that whenever a film requires a camp old English gent these days, they call upon Ian McKellen, who minced his way half pace throughout. The electricity between Tom and Audrey had about as much spark as a flat battery. Jean Reno and Paul Bettany were ever reliable though and I suspect the only two in the film that took it seriously.

A complete waste of time and has ruined the enjoyment I got from the book now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home