Monday, November 13, 2006

Bike show

I went to the bike show at the NEC in Birmingham a couple of weeks ago. Although I ride a bike almost every day, I wouldn't consider myself a 'biker'. I just went along for a day away from work, have a couple of pints, ogle at a few models in Lycra and maybe get a pair of gloves that would keep my hands from freezing in mid-winter.

But I found myself getting all carried away. I ended up sitting on nearly every bike in the hall (queuing up to do so at times), turning the throttle, clutching, pressing various brakes and saying things like 'No no, this one would kill your back' or smiling and saying 'It just feels right'. I even got my mate to take a few pictures of me. I knew I was being a wanker, I just couldn't stop myself.

It was only after doing this for a couple of hours that I started to feel like a bit of a prat. But I was in good company. Man there were some real nerds there. I'm talking guys walking about in full leathers, fellas decked out from head to toe in yellow Rossi memorabilia (caps, t-shirts, jackets, bandannas etc), clutching freebie posters. What is it about these events that make people act like this? Ok, it's a bike show, you are a Rossi fan. Excellent. Now if we were at a track, and said Italian midget was riding around in front of you I could understand you getting all Rossi'ed up, but at a bike show? Do guys wear Foster's t-shirts to beer festivals? Would one wear an IKEA cap to the Home Show? I hope to God they don't.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home