Monday, November 13, 2006

Miserable Britain - a theory

I had the misfortune of catching the end of an Eastenders show the other night. It wasn't by choice I hasten to add, I was just bringing my dinner in and the missus was watching it. For the next ten minutes she filled me in on what was happening. Forgive me if I get any of the following wrong, but it's as I understood it:

Apparently there is this character, Billy, who is the centre of the latest story line. Now this guy is related to the tough family in the program, although he's a bit of a joke, not very tough, the one they never talk about etc. Some time ago he turned from a spiteful little man into one that people kind of liked. He met some girl who was in an abusive relationship. She ended up killing her husband, and Billy steamed in. They got married, but during the course of their relationship, she was raped by some family 'friend'. She decided to keep the child, which Billy could never accept as his own and after a while they split up. And got back together. And split up again. And got back together... Anyway, they split up in the end and life moved on. He had a couple of failed businesses. He then met some looker and got her pregnant, but they were pretty happy about it and decided to marry. But every time they tried to something went wrong on the wedding day. On their last attempt, the looker went into labour so they all rushed off to the hospital. Lo and behold they have a bouncing baby, who has Downs Syndrome. The looker has lost her marbles and wants to give the baby up for adoption.

It struck me (not literally) that maybe it's because of programs like this that Brits are generally miserable and depressed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home