Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Pros and cons and cons and cons of management

I had to sack someone for the first time yesterday, and do I feel like shit. He wasn't up to the job and I admit it was a mistake hiring him - he interviewed well but after a couple of days of doing very little, it was obvious he didn't really know what he was doing. There was no way we could keep him on as the deadline is fast approaching and nothing was being done. It wouldn't have been so bad if he had got arsey or violent about it, but he took it really well, thanked me for the chance, said it was nice meeting me etc.

I don't think I am cut out for this management lark. I'm too nice a guy, I think you have to be a bit of a bastard to be a good manager. You certainly can't take, or give, anything personally when it comes to work. A wiser man than me (that narrows it down a bit!) said 'There is no sentiment in business'. I think I would like a job where I work with trees or something.

Not happy, but that's what I get paid for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home