Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Congestion Charge update

Well the journey home last night was pretty much the same as every Monday night, ie busier than an IKEA store on opening day. This morning I left home at about 6:20 because I couldn't sleep (something to do with a baby screaming) and the roads were really congested. It's quite unsual for it to be so busy at that time of the morning. Then I twigged; the C-Charge only kicks in at 7am so there was obviously a mad dash of cars trying to get into Chelsea before they get charged. I made it into the zone at 6:58 so I feel sorry for all the cars I passed on the way in. Early signs are that it ain't working Ken. Well, it isn't working for the official reason, but it is working because your income has had a nice hefty boost.

I did some reading about it yesterday, they reckon the new zone will reduce traffic by 10-15%. Excellent. But how are the 15% going to get into work? They are laying on more buses. Er, that doesn't make sense. You take cars off the roads and replace them with 18 metre long diesel guzzling buses? Good work. I suppose with less cars there will be more room for £5 a mile black cabs as well now. Shafted? Well and truly. I am just waiting for the announcement that Motorcycles will be charged. It's coming, I tell thee.

In summary, the C-Charge is not about reducing pollution, making the streets safer for pedestrians, it's just another way of extorting money from people that are already taxed to an unacceptable level.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home