Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Irony/more drought and flood ranting

I have to admit that I do use the word 'ironic' a lot but have never quite understood what it means. Been to dictionary.com, people have explained it to me, but I am no closer to understanding the meaning. I'm with Alanis on this one, to have 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife is, as I understand it, ironic.

On Friday evening as I was walking to where my bike was parked, it began to rain. Not a light shower or drizzle, sheet rain, big drops. I was soaked before I even got the keys in the ignition. 10 minutes into the journey and huge puddles were appearing everywhere. Even Michael Schumacher would have said 'You haf got to be kidding, I'm not driving in dis schitt'. But being a seasoned pro, desperate to get home and actually rather liking a bit of rain I proceeded undeterred. By the time I pulled up behind some traffic at Hammersmith Flyover, I was soaked to the skin. My Dainese waterproofs had given up for the weekend and my bike hard started to disolve. I looked to my left and there was a billboard advert from the Office of the Mayor of London: 'Use a bucket and a sponge to wash your car and save £1000. Let's beat the drought together'.

I was in Guildford yesterday doing a 'I'll be nice to the wife and maybe she'll let me off the leash so I can have a few jars this afternoon' shopping trip. There were a load of police in the streets and they were handing out bags full of information on how to secure your home and property and a marker pen that only shows up under an ultraviolet light. I was sitting on a bench ouside a shop the missus had been in for, I shit you not, 50 minutes. An elderley man was sitting next to me when my phone rang. I stood up and paced about a bit, as you do when talking on a mobile phone. I finished my call and turned round to find that the man had dissapeared, along with my bag full of security information given to me by the police.

Is that ironic?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home